Sangrur MP Bhagwant Mann of Aam Aadmi Party
Sangrur is represented in the Lok Sabha by Bhagwant Mann of Aam Aadmi Party (AAP). He was elected to the Parliament in the General Elections of May 2014. He is also a professional comedian who performs skits in Punjabi language.
Mann’s stint in politics began In early 2011 when he joined the People’s Party of Punjab. In 2012, he unsuccessfully contested Assembly elections from Lehragaga constituency.
In March 2014, Mann joined the Aam Aadmi Party to contest elections from the Sangrur Lok Sabha constituency. He won by 200,000 votes. He was also the convener of AAP’s Punjab unit but resigned after Arvind Kejriwal tendered an unconditional apology to Bikaramjeet Singh Majithia over drug mafia case.
Lok Sabha 2014
Sangrur MP Bhagwant Mann was elected in the General Elections of 2014. A first-timer himself, he defeated Shiromani Akali Dal’s stalwart Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa. Not only Akali Dal, Mann caused a huge dent in the voter base of Indian National Congress (INC) too, with Vijay Inder Singla trailing in the third spot.
Bhagwant Mann polled 533237 votes, taking 52 percent of vote share. Dhindsa got 321516 in his kitty while Congress’ Vijay Inder Singla got 181410 votes for the third spot.
Know the Constituency
Presently, Sangrur Lok Sabha constituency comprises nine Vidhan Sabha segments.
- 2017: Parminder Dhindsa (Shiromani Akali Dal)
- 2017: Adv. Harpal Cheema (Aam Aadmi Party)
- 2017: Aman Arora (Aam Aadmi Party)
- 2017: Pirmal Singh (Aam Aadmi Party)
- 2017: Meet Hayer (Aam Aadmi Party)
- Mehal Kalan
- 2017: Kulwant Singh (Aam Aadmi Party)
- 2017: Razia Sultana (Indian National Congress)
- 2017: Dalbir Goldy (Indian National Congress)
- 2017: Vijay Singla (Indian National Congress)