Home GLOBAL Power outages Stretch into another day, toll rises

Power outages Stretch into another day, toll rises

Ottawa, May 24: Power outages caused by the powerful and deadly storm that swept across Ontario and Quebec on Saturday are stretching into another day, as hydro providers warned customers they could be waiting even longer for service to be fully restored.

Hydro Ottawa’s chief executive said Monday that their distribution system had been “crushed,” noting the 187 poles downed during the storm not only exceeds the number the city traditionally puts down in a year but also tops the number felled during the 1998 ice storm and 2018 tornado.

The lack of power prompted the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board to close all schools and child-care centres on Tuesday due to ongoing safety concerns posed by the storm, saying in a notice to parents that about half of their schools were without power.

Hydro One says that the damage includes more than 1,400 broken poles, 300 broken crossarms and nearly 200 damaged transformers. In the Ottawa area, Hydro One crews are re-building three transmission towers that were damaged by the storm.

Across the provincial boundary, Hydro-Quebec was reporting about 133,000 customers were still without power Tuesday morning, down from a peak of more than 550,000 stretching from Gatineau to Quebec City.

The death toll has now climbed to at least 10, with Peterborough Police confirming Monday that a 61-year-old Lakefield man died during the storm after being struck by a falling tree.

Discussions

Discussions

Exit mobile version