Lufthansa air hostess was locked up by husband, wanted to call cops, her last messages suggest

New Delhi, July 19: Thirty-nine-year-old flight attendant Annisia Batra’s last conversation with her friend, minutes before she allegedly jumped to death, reportedly suggests that she wanted to call the police, investigators said.

Police have accessed some of her text messages sent to one of her close friends on her last day and are awaiting more details from the forensics report of her mobile phone that was seized after her death.

Batra had jumped to death from her south Delhi home on Friday, after which the police had registered a case under section 304b for dowry death following her parent’s allegations.

A police officer, not authorised to speak to the media, said the messages reveal she was seeking help from her friend. She reportedly told her friend that her husband had locked her up in a room. She also requested her friend to visit her.

Police have asked her friend to join the probe again. The officer said the messages hinted that she took the extreme step because of her husband. They said Annisia sent the texts to her friend on the day she died.

Deputy commissioner of police (south) Romil Baaniya said they had earlier summoned her friend for questioning and now after the chat messages have surfaced, they will call her again to assist the police.

Police said her friend had then asked Annisia to stay strong and had offered her support.

“We need to ascertain the authenticity of these text messages with her friend. It looks like Annisia was locked up by her husband and she asked her friend to call the police. We will question her again to confirm this,” Baaniya said.

The DCP said that while the final report of the second autopsy was awaited, the viscera samples had been preserved for a detailed examination.

“Prima facie, doctors feel that the injuries on her body were because of the fall. However, the final opinion is yet to arrive,” the officer said.

Four days after she died, Annisia’s husband was on Tuesday sent to jail after the police produced him before a city court. The court granted her in-laws exemption from police questioning until Friday.

Police are awaiting a detailed report of the forensic examination of Annisia’s mobile phone. “It will help us ascertain the dowry allegations and her claims of physical assault that her family has been raising,” the police said.

Source Hindustan Times